YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
SPECIAL BOARD MEETING / PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
JULY 9, 2012 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
(approved July 16, 2012)
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag - Mr. DeHaas
Mr. DeHaas called the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
- Roll Call - Mr. Younkin
Members Present - Jennifer Clancy, John DeHaas, Bill Kirk, Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Roger Miller, Lois Ann Schroeder, Joel Sears, Cathy Shaffer, Bradley Clark (Student Representative)
Members Not Present - Emily Bates
- Committee Reports
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes employment and a resignation. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; second; roll call vote.
Motion, Shaffer, Second, Leopold-Sharp, and unanimously passed (8-0); Approval of the Personnel Committee Report.
Dr. Merkle introduced Michael Mountz and Mark Miller.
- Name: Michael J. Mountz
Education: West York Area High School, Diploma; York College of Pennsylvania, B.A. in Secondary Social Studies Education and a B.A. in History
Certification: Social Studies 7-12
Contract: Temporary Professional Contract
Salary: $48,250 – B.S. – Step 1
Assignment: Social Studies
Building: High School
Recommend the employment of Craig Deardorff as Assistant Junior High Football Coach at the salary of $2,501 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
Recommend the employment of Brent Markel as Head 7th/8th Grade Football Coach at the salary of $2,711 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
Recommend the employment of Mark Miller as a full-time substitute teacher for the 2012-2013 school year as a business education teacher at the high school for Angela Edel, at the salary of $48,250 (Step 1 of the Bachelor’s Degree Schedule).
Recommend the employment of Patricia Selegrath as a kidwriting/intervention aide at the Yorkshire Elementary School at the hourly rate of $10.50, effective at the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year.
Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Tyler Knaub as Assistant Junior High Football Coach and Assistant Junior High Wrestling Coach effective June 20, 2012.
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled August 2 at 2:00 PM.
Mrs. Shaffer reported above information.
- Facilities Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Guaranteed Energy Savings Project Discussion
Response to Board Questions
Proposal Evaluation Data
Project Supporting Measures Options
Payback in Ten Years or Less - by Category
Mr. DeHaas stated appreciation for all the work that the administration and Johnson Controls personnel have done since the Board's last discussion on Guaranteed Energy Savings Project.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp highlighted the information above.
Mr. Younkin provided addition highlights in the above information.
A lengthy discussion continued. Questions were answered by Nick Suracik and John Schmidt from Johnson Controls and Barry Girling as Board members discussed Option 1, 2 and 3. Points of the discussion included - paying for a project after its life cycle is not good stewardship; Mr. Sears reviewed the ten-year payback spreadsheet he prepared; upfront fixed cost of $75,000 for work already completed by Johnson Controls will not change and $125,000 for construction management for oversight of the project is anticipated; pool alternatives discussed in previous years were shared; could Graham Center pool be a pool alternative?
It was decided to review the Proposal Evaluation Data document provided this evening, line by line, during the August Planning Committee Meeting, when all Board members would be in attendance. It may be necessary to go to the detailed information during discussion of several line items.
Mr. DeHaas asked Board members to be prepared for discussion and be ready with counter proposal where necessary.
An opportunity was provided for public comment. There was none at this time.
- Five Year Capital Project Review
Ms. Leopold-Sharp highlighted the above information.
A discussion continued. Points of the discussion included - several of the 11-12 projects are currently in process, scheduled to be started over the summer or may be deferred at this time and re-prioritized. Funds are available for the 11-12 projects. The projects on the Five Year Capital Project Review List that may become part of the Guaranteed Energy Savings Project will be indicated and sent out to Board members.
- Capital Projects Financing
Ms. Leopold-Sharp and Mr. Younkin suggest a delay on this item until August Planning Committee Meeting.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp stated this item will be a topic of conversation at the Facilities Committee meeting scheduled later this month.
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled July 25 at 5:30 PM.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp highlighted above information.
An opportunity was provided for public comment. There was none at this time.
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Board Committee Structure Evaluation
Mr. DeHaas stated this item will be discussed in depth at the Board Retreat scheduled in the fall.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- PSSA Update - Dr. Maloney
Dr. Orban stated the PSSA update includes very preliminary information recently received.
Dr. Maloney provided a PSSA Update and noted this is information before any attributions have been made; no analysis was done yet; and shared brief 2012 AP Scores Summary.
Dr. Orban added there was a big delay from DRC in distributing this information and the information became available last week.
Mrs. Shaffer stated in light of the student success that was just reported, she congratulated Dr. Maloney for leading the staff with academics and curriculum in a way that leads to this success for students.
Mr. DeHaas asked Dave Darrah, in attendance this evening representing the teachers, to take this information back to the staff.
- Committee Reports continued
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled August 14 at 9:00 AM.
Mrs. Clancy reported above information.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled August 6 at 6:00 PM.
Mrs. Schroeder reported above information.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled August 1 at 5:30 PM.
Mr. Miller reported above information.
- Legislative Policy Committee - Mrs. Clancy
- Selection of Voting Delegates for the PSBA Legislative Policy Council Meeting
Mrs. Clancy highlighted above information and asked if anyone is interested in attending as a voting delegate?
It was decided that Joel Sears and Jennifer Clancy will attend as voting delegates to the PSBA Legislative Policy Council Meeting on October 18, 2012.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The minutes of June 18 are provided.
Dr. Orban reported above information.
- New Policy Discussion
- Policy 706.1 - Disposal of Obsolete/Outdated Equipment
Dr. Orban shared this is a new policy and the Policy Review Committee recommends approval. This policy will be on the August 16 agenda for action.
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled August 14 at 10:15 AM.
Dr. Orban reported above information. The committee is doing a great reviewing policies and some are mandates.
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Report - Mr. Sears
- York Adams Academy - Mr. DeHaas
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- Job Descriptions Revisions/Elimination
Mr. Younkin explained with the transfer of personnel member from Business Office to Student Services, a proposed revision in Business Office personnel was outlined below.
It was decided to vote on this item this evening.
Motion, Leopold-Sharp, Second, Kirk, and unanimously passed (8-0); Approval of Business Office Personnel revisions as suggested by administration.
- Secretary to Director of Finance and Support Services
- Accounting Supervisor
- Coordinator of Transportation and Child Accounting
- State Budget 2012-13
Mr. Younkin provided brief update and stated additional information will be forthcoming from the state. All of the district's plancon projects are in line for reimbursement.
- Comments and/or Questions from the Public
An opportunity was provided for public comment.
Dr. Merkle commented on earlier discussion about pool pack and where the district is heading. Use of Graham Acquatic Center was suggested. One thing missing from your discussion was curricular impact of swimming as it is a very important part of Health, PE and Wellness, not just benefiting an athletic team.
Meeting adjourned at 9:14.
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE MEETING.
An Executive Session was held.