YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
APRIL 4, 2016 - 7:00 PM
PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
Call to Order - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Board President's Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- 2016-17 Calendar - Board Meeting Schedule Discussion
- York County Alliance for Learning Service recognition - Two Board members were recognized by YCAL for years of service at a dinner on Tuesday, March 29. Recognized were Emily Bates for 15 years of service on the York Suburban School Board and Ellen Freireich for 15 years of service on the York Adams Academy Board.
- Review of Volunteer Service to York Suburban - The Board would like to hear about the implementation of the new volunteer policy, volunteer recruitment and recognition and successful programs at other districts.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Merkle
- Middle School Division Report - Dr. Krauser and Dr. Monos will provide a brief overview of the Middle School initiative: Students, Purpose, Practice
- District Goal Update - Dr. Merkle will provide a brief overview of the progress on the District Goals at the three quarter mark.
- Department Chair - The Administration will be recommending that the current Department of Business and Computer be split into two: High School Business Department and K-8 Computer and Information Technology Department. The reason for the split is the needs of the high school have grown to be very different from the K-8 Computer. This will cost the District $1400.
- 2016-17 Staffing Update - Dr. Merkle will present an update on Kindergarten registration and its impact on staffing needs for 2016-17 and ultimately, the impact on the budget.
- Business Office Report - Ms. Mason
- Items being recommended for approval on April 18
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the following contracts for the Indian Rock Secure Entrance Project. _________________________
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the following contracts for the East York Secure Entrance Project. _________________________
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the architectural contract with Core Design Group for the Security Renovations at Indian Rock Elementary in the revised amount of $15,830.
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the architectural contract with Core Design Group for the Security Renovations at East York Elementary in the revised amount of $22,170.
- The Administration will be recommending Board approval of the Resolution requiring, between July 1 and October 31 of each year, the tax collector to file reconciled reports and pay over real estate taxes collected to the District on a weekly basis and, between November 1 and June 30, requiring the tax collector to file reconciled reports and pay over the real estate taxes collected to the District on a monthly basis.
- Informational Items
- 2016-17 Budget Update
- Valley View Elementary PTO donation in the amount of $2,580 for 15 Nexus Tablets and License.
- East York Elementary PTO donation in the amount of $189.70 for Durham School Services transportation for busing the students to the High School for practice for the Holiday Concert.
- Student Board Representative Report - Elizabeth Huh
- Committee Reports - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Academic Standards & Curriculum Committee - Mrs. Schroeder
The minutes of January 7 and February 17 are provided.
- Communications Committee - Ms. Shaffer
The minutes of January 28 are provided.
- Personnel Committee - Ms. Bates
- The April 5 Personnel Committee meeting is canceled.
- Reminder: There will be a Fireside Chat on Tuesday, April 5 at 6:30 in the Board room. The following Board members are scheduled to attend - Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Emily Bates, John Posenau and Lois Ann Schroeder.
- Policy Review Committee - Mr. Thoman
- The minutes of February 23 are provided.
- The Policy Review Committee will be recommending approval of the following revisions to Policies :
- 101 Mission Statement and Beliefs
- 103 Nondiscrimination in School and Classroom Practices
- 103 Attachment
- 103.1 Nondiscrimination - Qualified Students with Disabilities
- 103.1 Attachment
- 104 Nondiscrimination in Employment and Contract Practices
- 104 Attachment
- 105.2 Exemption from Instruction
- 110 Instructional Supplies
- 111 Lesson Plans
- 214 Class Rank
- 606 Tax Collection
- 707 Use of School Facilities/Grounds
- 707 Attachment
- The Policy Review Committee will be recommending approval of the following deletions, to be moved to the Administrative Guidelines:
- 103.1 Attachment 2
- 103.1 Attachment 3
- 103.1 Attachment 4
- Additional Committee Reports/Announcements
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit - Mr. Robinson
- York Adams Academy - Mrs. Freireich
- York County School Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- Board Meeting and Committee Schedule
- Comments and/or Questions from the Public
There will be an opportunity for public comment at the end of each report.