YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
DECEMBER 19, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of November 21, 2011 and the Minutes of the Re-Organization and Planning Committee Meeting of December 5, 2011. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 11/30/11 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 11/30/11
- Food Service Fund - $75,446.74
- Capital Reserve Fund - $300,002.16
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $1,224,921.66
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2011-12 - $929,574.20
- Food Service Fund - $136,890.80
- Capital Reserve Fund - $45,406.25
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $52,107.75
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the December 5, 2011 Planning Committee Meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Board Committee Assignments.
- Board Goals Review.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Student Enrollment Report. The Student Enrollment Report is provided.
- District 7 Musicians. Following the auditions process, the following high school students were selected to participate in the District 7 Program.
- Edward Allison, son of Barry & Julie Allison - Chorus, bass
- Jon Arthur, son of Cyrus & Lori Arthur - Band, trumpet
- Noah Baker, son of James & Amie Baker - Band, trumpet
- Rose Crosset, daughter of Robert & Lisa Crosset - Orchestra, violin
- Kailyn Hall, daughter of Ronald & Victoria Hall - Band, bass clarinet
- Breah Koller, daughter of Brett & Linda Koller - Band, clarinet
- Nathan Krebs, son of Martin & Melinda Krebs - Band, trombone
- Morgan Lehman, daughter of Robert & Tammy Lehman - Band, clarinet
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled January 4 at 3:30 PM.
- The annual Academic Standards & Curriculum Meeting is February 15 at 6:30 PM.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Activities Report and Communications Report is provided.
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled January 9 at 6:00 PM.
- Facilities Committee Report
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled February 1 at 3:45 PM.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled January 4 at 7:30 AM.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- The administration recommends Board approval of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Board of School Directors and the York Suburban Education Association that offers a retirement incentive. The proposed Memorandum of Understanding is provided. [Motion and Vote]
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes employment, request for leave of absence, approval of disability benefits, volunteer winter coaches for 2011-12, intramural coaches for winter 2011-12, substitute teachers, guest teachers, retirement and resignation. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; roll call vote.
- Recommend the appointment of Stephanie Barnes as Head Softball Coach at the salary of $4,602, which represents Step 3 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Tyler Knaub as Assistant Junior High Wrestling Coach at the salary of $1,925, which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Brandon Snyder as Assistant Wrestling Coach at the salary of $2,083, which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Request for Leave of Absence
- Recommend Board approval of the request of Mary Ann Stone, Food Service Employee at East York, for an unpaid leave of absence from January 17, 2012 through approximately March 5, 2012.
- Approval of Disability Benefits
- Recommend Board approval for disability benefits for Beth Landau, English Teacher at the High School, beginning November 17, 2011 through approximately February 3, 2012.
- Volunteer Winter Coaches for 2011-12
- Nikki Lehman - Swimming
- Ashley Rudisill - Girls JH Basketball
- Alexis Snell - Varsity Cheerleading
- Intramural Coaches for Winter 2011-2012
- Joseph Hasenfuss - Boys Varsity Basketball
- Randy Hollinger - Girls Varsity Basketball
- Substitute Teachers and Guest Teachers
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled February 13 at 2:00 PM.
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- The next Planning Committee meeting is scheduled January 9 at 7:30 PM.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled January 10 at 3:45 PM.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- York County School of Technology
- The Mini-Board Report dated November 22 is provided by the York County School of Technology Joint Operating Committee.
- York Adams Academy Report
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the November 29 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- Authorization to Solicit Bids - Art, Athletics, Custodial, General, Paper Supplies and Physical Education. The administration recommends approval of the advertising and soliciting of bids for the 2012-13 school year for the following supplies and equipment: Art, Athletics, Custodial, General, Paper Supplies and Physical Education. The IU and District Bid Timelines and Policy No. 613 Cooperative Purchasing is provided. [Motion and Vote]
- 2012-13 Budget Development. Act 1 requires the Board to adopt a resolution either not to exceed the real estate tax index or adopt a Preliminary Budget for 2012-13. The resolutions are provided. [Motion and Vote]
- Recognition of Visitors
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE MEETING.
TO: Members of the York Suburban School Board
FROM: Kathryn L. Orban, Superintendent
DATE: December 19, 2011
SUBJECT: Addendum to the Agenda for the Board Meeting of December 19, 2011
IV. Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
C. Adjudication Re: Student No. 012235. Upon the recommendation of the Superintendent and based on the Student Disciplinary Hearing conducted by Brooke E.D. Say, Esquire, the Superintendent recommends the Board accept the Adjudication for expulsion of Student No. 012235 for a violation of School Board Policy and the Code of Student Conduct as more fully set forth in the Adjudication. [Motion and Vote]
X. Personnel Committee Report
4. Recommend the appointment of Matthew Appleby as Assistant Swimming Coach at the salary of $2,431, which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
5. Recommend the appointment of Scott Toman as Head Lacrosse Coach at the salary of $3,762, which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
1. Recommend Board approval of the retirement of Lonna Ashton, Kindergarten Teacher at Yorkshire Elementary, effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year. Mrs. Ashton is retiring after having served 28 years in education and 24 years at York Suburban School District.
1. Recommend Board approval of the resignation of David Fogle, Assistant High School Track Coach, effective immediately.